When I first decided to write a thriller series with a female lead I was feeling slightly apprehensive. So before I introduced Kenzie Marsh to the world I lost myself in a series of gripping books where the protagonist featured a female character. Here's a selection of six. Whether you're looking for a thrilling ride or just a captivating read, these books with female lead characters are sure to satisfy your cravings.
1. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn: This gripping novel tells the story of a missing woman named Amy Dunne, whose husband Nick quickly becomes the prime suspect in her disappearance. The novel is full of twists and turns as the reader tries to figure out what happened to Amy and who is responsible for her disappearance. With its complex characters and intense storyline I'd say "Gone Girl" is a must for thriller fans.
2. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson: This novel is the first in the popular Millennium series, and features a fascinating character in Lisbeth Salander, a computer hacker and private investigator. The book centers around a journalist named Mikael Blomkvist who teams up with Salander to investigate a wealthy family's dark secrets. I had this book on my 'to read' list for months beofre I finally got to it. It was worth the wait. If your a fan of clever, intricate plots then go grab a copy.
3. "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides: This debut novel tells the story of Alicia Berenson, a famous painter who is found guilty of murdering her husband and then stops speaking altogether. Theo Faber, a criminal psychotherapist, becomes obsessed with trying to get her to speak and unravel the mystery of what really happened on the night of the murder. With its haunting psychological themes and complex female protagonist, "The Silent Patient" is a gripping page-turner.
4. "The Last Mrs. Parrish" by Liv Constantine: This novel is a deliciously dark and twisty tale that follows Amber Patterson, a young woman who is determined to take over the life of Daphne Parrish, a wealthy socialite. Amber manipulates her way into the Parrish's world, but soon finds that everything is not as it seems. With its thrilling plot I'd say it's a must read if you love a captivating psychological thriller.
5. "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty: This novel tells the story of three women - Madeline, Celeste, and Jane - whose seemingly perfect lives are rocked by a series of tragic events. With its relatable and multifaceted female characters, "Big Little Lies" explores the darker side of suburban life and the secrets that can lie beneath the surface. This novel is an edge of the seat blend of drama and suspense.
6. "Silent Scream" by ... me. Of course I couldn't finish without mentioning the new girl on the block. The novel tells the story of a British Intelligence agent, Kenzie Marsh, who discovers a terrifying conspiracy. With nobody to trust, she goes undercover to investgate. What she discovers is so dark and terrifying that just the knowledge of it thereatens her life and the lives of all those around her. Though provoking and shockig, it develops into a thrilling action packed, edge of your seat physcological thriller.
I'd say all these books are worth the investment in time. They're fantastic examples of thrilling stories with strong female lead characters. Whether you're a fan of psychological thrillers or just looking for an exciting read, any one of these books is sure to satisfy.
Join my newsletter and have my starter library of stories delivered directly to your inbox.